Cream of Mushroom Soup
This cream of mushroom soup rendition is a rich and filling hearty meal in itself. When served with a loaf of chewy, crusty artisan bread your meal is complete. Pair with a robust red wine such as our C. R. Sandidge Whistle Punk Red or…..our crisp refreshing Sabrina white wine. Either way, you simply can not go wrong!
Hope you enjoy it! – Ray
YIELD: 12 servings
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 yellow onions (minced)
- 8 cloves of garlic (diced)
- 3 pounds cremini mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme (chopped)
- 1 cup Sabrina wine
- 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 32 ounces low salt chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Handful of fresh flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped, for garnish
- Heat butter and oil over medium-high heat in a large sauce pan. Sweat onions for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Add sliced mushrooms and half of the thyme. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice. Add the wine and cook several minutes more.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms, onions and garlic and mix well. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. If it is too thick add additional water to reach a thick gravy-like consistency.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the salt (if using), pepper and beef bouillon cubes. Cover and simmer for 10-20 minutes, until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- LOWER the heat to low and stir in the heavy cream (do not boil!). Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in parsley and remaining thyme just before serving.
Ladle soup into bowls and serve with generous pieces of chewy artisan bread. Serve hot.